February 15 to 19 was Chamber of Commerce Week – an opportunity for BC’s more than 125 Chambers of Commerce to showcase our hard work on behalf of businesses across the province.
The Comox Valley Chamber of Commerce is working hard to actively strengthen local businesses through networking events, mentorship opportunities, professional development activities and other unique programming. Whether hosting events and business awards, supporting young entrepreneurs through mentorship programs or organizing unique travel experiences for companies interested in learning more about different international markets, the Comox Valley Chamber is sharply focused on empowering each and every member business to succeed. (More to come on travel experiences soon!)
Simultaneously, the Chamber network across BC is advocating for policy changes to further drive local businesses’ success.
Right now, for example, BC’s Chambers are leading efforts to advocate for permanent inter-municipal business licenses. These licenses provide business owners with the geographic flexibility that many need. Right now, inter-municipal business licenses are moving from a pilot project to a permanent fixture in four Lower Mainland communities; the Chamber network hopes to further build on this success, with a vision of one day having a single cross-BC business license. The Comox Valley Chamber is proud to say that the communities of Cumberland, Courtenay and Comox have had an inter-municipal licence in place for several years now!
Quick Chamber Facts:
- There are more than 125 chambers and boards of trade in the BC Chamber network alone.
- The BC Chamber of Commerce represents more than 36,000 small, medium and large BC businesses. The chamber is a key partner with government and works alongside government to achieve the goal of making BC the most business-friendly province in Canada.
- Small business makes up 98% of all business in the province and employs more than one million people.
- Small business provides nearly 54% of all private-sector jobs in BC.
- BC ranks first in Canada for the number of small businesses per capita, with 82.6 businesses per 1,000 people.
The Comox Valley Chamber of Commerce values each and every one of our members. Please swing by the office, join in on your Chamber’s events, and celebrate the many ways that the Chamber works to strengthen our community.